What is Infant Massage?
Infant massage is a form of loving communication that fosters bonding and trust between parent and child. The strokes are a combination of Swedish and Indian Style massage as well as Reflexology.
In our culture, the concept of infant massage may be relatively new but it has been very popular for centuries in other parts of the world.
The Touch Research Institute at the University of Miami School of Medicine, carried out numerous studies on the effects of massage on infants. From Preterm babies, infants with sleep problems to colic, the Institute confirms the importance of a secure environment and nurturing touch in the healthy growth, development and maturation of children.
Infant Massage is a natural and enjoyable method of providing nurturing, bonding contact during a baby’s early life. The developmental benefits of positive contact and bonding is truly immeasurable.
Why Massage Your Baby?
- Body Awareness
- Helps to relieve the discomfort associated with gas and colic
- Promotes the strengthening of the digestive, respiratory and circulatory systems
- Helps to establish that special bond between parent and baby by focusing on important elements such as eye to eye and skin to skin contact
- Helps baby to have a more restful sleep
- Increases parents confidence and sensitivity to baby’s cues
- Relaxes and releases tension
About the Class
This four week class or one time introductory workshop will teach you how to massage, relax, and soothe your newborn to pre-crawling baby.
All of the techniques will be demonstrated on a doll and you will practice the strokes on your own baby during the class.
Private instruction is available as follows:
- small groups (8 person minimum requirement)
- via Skype
- by phone
In addition to learning how to massage your baby we may have group discussions about topics that relate to situations that we face every day as parents. The class also includes relaxation techniques, inspirational readings and mindful music.
For More Information…
For questions, class locations or to book Sheryl for a private session, please email: [email protected], call: 617 905-0100 or complete the form on the contact page